Tugboats, the semi's of the ocean. They pass Powell River pulling logbooms, construction barges, scows of hogfuel and chips for the local paper mill, train barges, barges loaded with
semi-trailers and chemical tankers and more. And I take their pictures as they pass.

Here you will find some of the photos I have taken of those tugboats as they pull their tows up and down Malaspina Strait and the surrounding waters. Big ones and little ones, good looking tugs and some not so.
I like them all, and if you like tugs - including tugs converted to other uses - I invite you to have a look.

( Always check the sidebar at right for the latest updates. )

Seymour Crown

Seymour Crown  - 2020-07-16


Seymour Crown - as of the beginning of June 2015 Seaspan has pulled out of the harbour towing business in Powell River, to be replaced by Catherwood Towing of Mission. Their Seymour Crown was built for Crown Zellerbach and she worked out of the Elk Falls mill. She retained her name through all the corporate changes at that mill, including her time for Norsk Skog Canada. She became a Catherwood boat in 2011. The most recent photo show her on Malaspina Strait, heading to the Stillwater log sort.

Length: 15.12m Breadth: 5.67m Draft: 2.01m Power: 960 BHP Year Built: 1966


Seymour Crown  - 2017-11-01


Seymour Crown  - 2017-11-01

Seymour Crown  - 2017-11-01
 
Seymour Crown  - 2017-10-12

Seymour Crown  - 2017-10-12
 
Seymour Crown and Seaspan Cutlass  - 2017-06-04

Seymour Crown  - 2017-06-04

Seymour Crown  - 2017-06-04
 
Seymour Crown - 2015-07-28

Seymour Crown - 2015-07-28


Seymour Crown - 2015-07-17

Seymour Crown - 2015-07-17

Seymour Crown - 2015-07-17


Seymour Crown - 2015-06-14


Seymour Crown - 2015-06-14

 

3 comments:

  1. Here is Seymour Crown assisting with North Island Princess ferry, at Powell River ferry dock, on July 2, 2016.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5MnEziji1Y

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this! I've been watching the Seymour Crown doing the to-and-fro to Texada from my window for a few days now.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, I don't really understand who this being read by and for what reason but the Seymor Crown is a ship near and dear to my heart. My dad skippered her for a good number of years upon arriving at Crown Z.all them years ago. (Dad was Robert Charles Benton.). It must've been oh, 'bout the summer of 1969 when I (running our families 16'6, open, aluminium boat) first pulled up alongside that oh so beautiful a ship! I must've been grinning from ear to ear as Dave Gark, one of Dad's deckhands and my secret hero, caught my tossed bowline as I scrambled aboard her (Seymour Crown) for the first time ever. Dad called me up onto the bridge to speak with me concerning my inquiry of "where can I catch some fish?" Dad pulled out a familiar chart of the immediate area) from (Browns Bay to the Lighthouse at the southern end of Quadra Idland. I went on to catch many salmon that day and each succesive time there-after. Dad is doing the midnight shift over towards Maude Island where all those tons and tons of ships went down trying to navigate around? Over? Or was it thru RippleRock? Well, I've seen some pretty off the wall and inexplicable things happen a'sea. Not queer things mind you, but full on #10 on my weird-as-shit-o-meter. Dean A.T. Benton

    ReplyDelete

Comments are invited, but unfortunately not anonymously. Google account holders only, as the spammers are ruining it for the rest.